After a bit of experimenting, I’ve gone with long and short stitch instead of satin, because satin buckles when you try to shape the wire. I’m using silk fabric as the backing and 1 strand of cotton thread. I think this project calls for silk floss and sequins. Stay tuned for more bling.
I started embroidering this ‘Dia de Los Muertos’ painting by Mab Graves last year. It’s a Christmas gift for a (very patient) friend who loves Mab’s work and Blythe dolls. Check out Mab’s Website / Etsy shop / Pinterest to see more of her delightful illustrations. I picked […]
This is my second entry for the &Stitches: Old Stitches, New Tricks competition. For this project I wanted to use an antiquated stitch with a contemporary pattern. I settled on queen stitch, which I’m using to create a wee wallet for my credit cards. […]
Needleworkers of the Anglican Diocese of Toronto gather on Mondays to work on hand-made embroidery for churches across Canada. I was lucky enough to spend a few Mondays with them and learned a lot about traditional techniques – like how to transfer a pattern without using […]
This is a motto sampler I’m working on for my friend Katherine. She’s a graphic designer so I wanted to have fun with the typography. I stole the lettering from a motivational poster I saw on pinterest. I liked the colours and how they changed when […]