I embroidered this little hand onto silk organza. I used a vintage palm reading chart for the pattern and got the idea of using lines to mimic finger prints from these cross contour drawings.
The stitching went smoothly – there are a few hoop marks, but overall the fabric held up nicely. Framing the finished piece was the real challenge! I used a shadow frame and drilled holes through the middle section, about an inch apart. Then I whipstitched the fabric onto the frame.
Overall I’m really happy with how it turned out! The tension of the fabric is great and the hand casts a shadow onto the wall. I put the glass at the back instead of the front so you can still see and feel the texture of the stitching. This piece will be auctioned off to raise funds for Space2Create, a wonderful mental health charity based in Kendal, UK.
Lovely idea! Will surely put that to work! Thanks!
This is really cool, love it. I’ve not seen needlework done this way before, always something new to discover 😉
Thanks Loretta – there are so many ways to finish a piece of embroidery. Still lots of experimenting to do 🙂